Woods Used In Timber Framing
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Timber Framing and other Wood Working topics.
What's the best wood for timber framing?
There are particular woods that are better suited for timber framing than others.
- The Eastern White Pine has less twisting and shrinkage.
- The Douglas fir grows bigger than the pine and has a reddish color that some people like. It also shrinks more than the pine.
- The white cedar works well for exposed structures.
- Reclaimed wood is old wood that comes from other structures and is used to build new ones. This is far more expensive than new.
- Red pine is off the list of woods that are suitable for framing because of it's tendency to twist or bow when it dries.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.